The purpose of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine (EAPM) is to bring together groups and individuals in Europe who are interested in promoting the science of perinatal medicine, for the benefit of mothers and their children, in particular by:
- Promoting and disseminating the study, research and knowledge of all aspects of perinatal medicine, to attain the optimal physical and mental health for mothers and their children by improving the quality and provision of perinatal care in Europe.
- Contributing to the improvement of teaching standards in the profession.
- Proposing guidelines and standardizing criteria for auditing, evaluation and clinical care in perinatal medicine.
- Fostering collaboration between the various disciplines interested in perinatal care as well as friendship between individuals from different European Countries.
The principal event that the EAPM organizes is the “European Congress of Perinatal Medicine” (ECPM). This is held every two years in a major European city.
Other activities of the Association are:
- Organizing, in collaboration with the European Midwives Association (EMA), the “European Congress of Intrapartum Care” (ECIC). This is held every two years in a major European city, on alternate years with the ECPM.
- Collaborating with the Journal Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, the official journal of the EAPM.
- Organizing national and international educational courses.
- Promoting multisite clinical trials.
- Promoting exchange visits for senior and junior clinicians, to encourage research and training.
AFFILIATION AND RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- The EAPM has as affiliated members the national scientific societies and associations of European countries, whose main objective is the promotion of perinatal medicine, and these are represented in the EAPM General Assembly.
- The EAPM is a subspeciality society of the European Board and College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (EBCOG). Under the patronage of EBCOG, the EAPM carries out hospital visits for accreditation of post-graduate subspeciality training programs. It also contributes to EBCOG’s scientific activities, Standards of Care and Position Statements.
- The EAPM has established links with other international organizations that have similar objectives: the World Health Organization (WHO), the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO), the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM), the International Pediatric Association (IPA), the Mother and Child International (MCI), the European Society of Paediatric Research (ESPR), and the Permanent International and European School (PREIS School) in Perinatal Neonatal and Reproductive Medicine in Florence.